Shelter Island Express Wreck of 1926 Marked With Historic Plaque at Calverton Site

Shelter Island Express Wreck of 1926 Marked With Historic Plaque at Calverton Si. August 16, 2026.

Updated Aug 16, 2026
MODERATE INCIDENT
Town
Shelter Island
Reported
Updated
Source
News Sources
Shelter Island Express Wreck of 1926 Marked With Historic Plaque at Calverton Site
📌Approximate area — Shelter Island centroid Open in Google Maps →

What Happened

The Railroad Museum of Long Island unveiled a historic marker on Aug. 13, 2026, at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and River Road in Calverton, marking the centennial of one of the deadliest wrecks in Long Island Rail Road history. The marker, supplied by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation, commemorates six people killed when the Shelter Island Express derailed at the Golden’s Pickle Factory siding on Aug. 13, 1926. Four of the 387 passengers aboard died, along with two crew members, according to the Shelter Island Reporter.

The morning of the crash was a stormy Friday. Thunder and lightning had struck the previous day and continued through Aug. 13. The Shelter Island Express was running double-engined, carrying tourists toward Greenport. At Calverton station, then little more than a shelter amid trees and farm fields, the Golden’s Pickle Factory maintained a private siding off the LIRR mainline, where trains dropped off cucumbers and pickling ingredients and collected finished product.

As the lead engine, a camelback locomotive with the boiler positioned in the middle of the cab, rolled over the siding switch, its speed and vibration shook the switch mechanism loose, a condition railroaders call “picking the switch.” The second engine, a conventional locomotive, then threw the switch completely and was routed into the siding. The divergence yanked the first engine backward down the track and into the factory building. Both engines landed in a heap inside the structure. The force drove the parlor car, the first passenger car behind the engines, up on end and through the roof.

Engineer William Squires and fireman John Montgomery, both of Greenport, were killed in the collision. The parlor car carried some of the wealthier passengers, including Harold Fish, an investment broker from Manhattan traveling to his home in East Marion. When the car tore into the factory, it ruptured the second floor where salt was stored. Salt poured through the open roof onto the wrecked car and buried Fish, who was already badly injured. He died from being smothered in salt, as Don Fisher, president of the Railroad Museum of Long Island, recounted at the dedication: “Workers who were there at the time were trying to keep the salt away from him. And he died because he was smothered and buried in salt.”

Also in the parlor car were Mrs. Shuford, her first name was not recorded, visiting from North Carolina with her two young children, Charles, 3, and Dorothy, 1, and their nanny, Laura Conley. Charles and Dorothy were killed instantly. Rescuers spent six hours cutting the parlor car apart with acetylene torches to free Mrs. Shuford; she was fed a sandwich while workers worked through the evening to reach her. She walked onto a waiting ambulance and was transported to Southampton Hospital, where she died from internal burns caused by steam exposure. She was never told her children had died. Nanny Laura Conley survived but lost her leg.

The approximately 380 surviving passengers stranded at Calverton received no relief trains from the railroad, according to a New York Times account published at the time of the wreck. Those who could hire automobiles completed their trip that way. Hundreds walked the five miles to Riverhead and made their own way home from there.

“It’s those people that we will remember today — the people who lost their lives — and it’s to them that we dedicate the sign,” Fisher said at the Aug. 13 ceremony.

Location & Road Context

The wreck site is in Calverton, near what was then a whistle-stop station on the LIRR’s North Fork branch. The Golden’s Pickle Factory siding no longer exists. The factory itself was demolished after the crash and never rebuilt. A crumbling shelter south of the tracks is all that remains at the site, per the Shelter Island Reporter. The new marker stands at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and River Road in Calverton.

A District Attorney investigation after the 1926 crash determined that the cotter pin securing the factory siding switch was missing. Its absence allowed the nut and washer holding the hand lever to the operating rod to come loose. Investigators found debris and dirt packed into the holes that should have been clean, indicating the pin had been missing for some time before the Express passed through. No criminal charges were detailed in the Shelter Island Reporter’s account of the DA findings.

Broader Impact

The Aug. 13, 2026 dedication brought together Railroad Museum of Long Island archivists and officials from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation to mark a crash that, a century later, left no surviving physical structure at the site beyond a crumbling station shelter. Fisher noted the switch defect was identifiable from basic maintenance inspection, with dirt-packed holes that should have been clear. The museum’s marker at Railroad Avenue and River Road is now the only permanent on-site record of the six deaths.

Topics

Shelter IslandShelter Island trafficShelter Island accidentLong Island accident todayLong Island traffic todayLong IslandNY

Frequently Asked Questions

Where did the Shelter Island Express wreck happen, and where is the new marker located?

The wreck occurred at the Golden's Pickle Factory siding near Calverton station on Aug. 13, 1926. The Railroad Museum of Long Island placed the new historic marker at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and River Road in Calverton, on the site of the former pickle factory.

Who was killed in the Shelter Island Express crash?

Six people died: fireman John Montgomery and engineer William Squires, both of Greenport, died when the engines piled into the building. Investment broker Harold Fish of Manhattan died when salt stored on the second floor of the factory collapsed onto the wrecked parlor car and smothered him. A mother identified only as Mrs. Shuford, visiting from North Carolina, was cut free after six hours but died later from internal burns caused by steam; her two children, Charles, 3, and Dorothy, 1, were killed instantly. Nanny Laura Conley survived but lost her leg.

What caused the Shelter Island Express derailment in 1926?

A District Attorney investigation found the cotter pin securing the switch for the Golden's Pickle Factory siding was missing, allowing the nut and washer on the hand lever to come loose. As the first engine — a camelback locomotive — passed over the switch, its speed and vibration shook the mechanism free. The second, traditional locomotive then threw the switch completely and was directed into the siding, dragging the first engine backward into the factory building.

Who unveiled the Calverton plaque, and when was the dedication?

The Railroad Museum of Long Island held the dedication on Aug. 13, 2026 — exactly 100 years after the crash. Don Fisher, the long-serving president of the railroad museum, presided. The William G. Pomeroy Foundation provided the marker.

How many passengers were on the Shelter Island Express when it crashed?

The train carried 387 passengers. Four of them died, along with two crew members — engineer William Squires and fireman John Montgomery — for a total of six fatalities.

What happened to the Golden's Pickle Factory after the wreck?

The factory never recovered from the damage and was demolished. According to the Shelter Island Reporter, only a crumbling shelter south of the tracks remains at the site today.

Disclaimer: Incident information on this page is compiled from public sources including police reports, traffic agencies, and news outlets. It is provided for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current status of this incident. Do not rely on this information for legal, insurance, or emergency decisions. For emergencies, call 911.