Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez of El Salvador, Four-Time Felony DWI Convict, Handed to ICE After Riverhead Arrest

Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez of El Salvador, Four-Time Felony DWI Convict, Handed to IC. August 18, 2026.

Updated Aug 22, 2026
MINOR INCIDENT
Town
Riverhead
Reported
Updated
Source
NY Post
Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez of El Salvador, Four-Time Felony DWI Convict, Handed to ICE After Riverhead Arrest
📌Approximate area — Riverhead centroid Open in Google Maps →

What Happened

Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, 36, a Salvadoran national with four felony DWI convictions on Long Island, was arrested in Riverhead on Monday, August 18, 2026, for driving without a license, then transferred to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody before the day was out, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday.

The arrest came fewer than 10 days after Suffolk County Judge Bryan Browns released Aguilar-Alvarez without bail on August 10, according to the New York Post. A jury had just convicted him of his fourth felony DWI in 10 years. At release, the court ordered him not to operate a motor vehicle while awaiting sentencing. He faces up to seven years in prison when he appears before the court on October 2.

Riverhead police pulled him over and found him driving without a license. Officers issued a summons for misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. Prosecutors then contacted federal immigration authorities. As Aguilar-Alvarez was leaving the DA’s office after processing on the new charge, ICE agents took him into custody, the DA’s office said.

“It is self-evident that given his history of multiple felony convictions, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez is a clear and present danger to any Suffolk County citizen traveling on our roads,” District Attorney Ray Tierney said in a statement Tuesday. “Less than two weeks after his fourth felony DWI conviction, and despite explicit instructions not to drive, the defendant once again got behind the wheel of a vehicle.”

Aguilar-Alvarez had previously been deported in March 2024 following his third DWI conviction, the DA’s office said. He reentered the United States illegally after that removal. It is not clear when he first entered the country, per the New York Post report.

Tierney said his office plans to return Aguilar-Alvarez to Suffolk County to face the October 2 sentencing on the felony DWI conviction as well as the new unlicensed-operation summons.

Location & Road Context

The traffic stop occurred in Riverhead, the easternmost township of Suffolk County on the North Fork corridor. Riverhead sits at the junction of Route 25 and Route 58, two of the primary east-west arteries serving eastern Long Island. For more on road conditions and incidents in the area, see Long Island Traffic’s roads coverage and accidents archive.

Aguilar-Alvarez is currently held in ICE custody. The Suffolk County DA’s office coordinated directly with federal immigration authorities after the Riverhead stop, and the handoff occurred at the DA’s office during post-arrest processing, according to the DA’s office statement reported by the New York Post.

His sentencing on the fourth felony DWI conviction is scheduled for October 2 in Suffolk County court. The maximum exposure on that conviction is seven years. The Riverhead summons for misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle will be addressed at the same proceeding, DA Tierney said.

What This DWI Charge Means

New York Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1192 creates several tiers of impaired-driving offenses. A DWAI (§ 1192.1) requires only that drugs or alcohol impaired the driver to any degree. A standard DWI (§ 1192.2) applies when a chemical test shows a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher. Aggravated DWI (§ 1192.2-a) applies at a BAC of 0.18 or higher and carries steeper mandatory penalties on the first offense.

Repeat convictions compound every consequence. A first DWI misdemeanor draws fines of $500 to $1,000, a minimum six-month license revocation, and a possible jail term of up to one year. A second DWI within 10 years becomes a Class E felony; a third, a Class D felony. At the felony level, mandatory ignition interlock installation applies, license revocation extends to at least one year, and the court may impose a state prison term. Aguilar-Alvarez’s fourth felony conviction exposes him to a sentence of up to seven years, which Judge Browns will determine on October 2. A driver who refuses a chemical test under New York’s implied-consent law faces an automatic one-year license revocation and a $500 civil penalty, independent of any criminal outcome.

Case Status & Updates

An arrest or summons is an accusation. Aguilar-Alvarez is presumed innocent on the new misdemeanor charge until proven guilty in court. The felony DWI conviction from August 10 is, however, a jury verdict, and sentencing proceeds from that finding.

Long Island Traffic tracks DWI cases through the Suffolk County court system and updates each report as arraignment outcomes, pleas, and sentencing dates enter the public record. Check back here for the October 2 sentencing result. For background on New York DWI charges and your rights during a traffic stop, see our Know Your Rights section.

Updates

  • Aug 18, 2026: Additional reporting merged into this article: “DA Tierney Secures ICE Detention of Four-Time Felony DWI Offender” (source)
  • Aug 19, 2026: Additional reporting merged into this article: “Salvadoran National, 4-Time Felony DWI Offender Detained by ICE” (source)

Topics

RiverheadRiverhead trafficRiverhead accidentDWI crashLong Island accident todayLong Island traffic todayLong IslandNY
See this incident on the Long Island Crime Map Browse recent impaired driving reports and every Nassau & Suffolk blotter incident, mapped and updated every few hours.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where did this happen?

Aguilar-Alvarez was pulled over in Riverhead, New York. He was subsequently taken into ICE custody outside the Suffolk County District Attorney's office during processing on the new charge.

Who was charged and what is his background?

Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, 36, is a Salvadoran national with four felony DWI convictions spanning 10 years on Long Island. He was previously deported in March 2024 after his third DWI conviction and reentered the United States illegally before accumulating a fourth conviction.

Why was Aguilar-Alvarez released without bail after his fourth DWI conviction?

Suffolk County Judge Bryan Browns released Aguilar-Alvarez without bail on August 10, 2026, following his fourth felony DWI conviction by a jury, pending his October 2 sentencing. The court did bar him from operating any motor vehicle while awaiting sentencing.

What charge did Aguilar-Alvarez face after his Riverhead arrest?

Police issued him a summons for misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. The arrest came less than 10 days after his August 10 release and violated the court's explicit order prohibiting him from driving.

What happens next in the Aguilar-Alvarez case?

Aguilar-Alvarez is currently in ICE custody. Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said prosecutors plan to bring him back to Suffolk County for sentencing on October 2 on the felony DWI conviction, and he will also face the new unlicensed-operation summons at that time.

How many times was Aguilar-Alvarez deported before this arrest?

He was deported at least once, in March 2024, following his third DWI conviction. He reentered the United States illegally after that deportation and went on to be convicted of a fourth felony DWI before the Riverhead arrest.

Disclaimer: Incident information on this page is compiled from public sources including police reports, traffic agencies, and news outlets. It is provided for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current status of this incident. Do not rely on this information for legal, insurance, or emergency decisions. For emergencies, call 911.